OverviewSatellite communication systems operator-maintainers are responsible for making sure that the lines of communication are always up and running. They maintain the multichannel satellite communications for the entire Army.
- Maintenance of satellite communications equipment and associated devices
- Conduct stressed and unstressed network operations
- Prepare system and equipment related forms and reports
RequirementsThose who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
TrainingJob training for a satellite communication systems operator-maintainer requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 15 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Use of various types of communications equipment
- Working with codes
- Maintenance and care of communications equipment
- Interest in communications equipment and satellite systems
- Ability to perform physically and mentally under pressure
- Can thrive in team environment