Signal Corps AviationThe Success of the Wright aeroplane (airplane) led to the formation of the Aeronautical Division in the Signal Corps. In 1907, specification 483, was prepared and proposals invited for a heavier-than-air machine, speed 40 mph, to remain in the air one hour and to be under control at all times. Competing for the contracts were the Wright brothers and A.M. Herring
The act of July 18, 1914, authorized an Aviation Section of the Signal Corps. The available air resources of the Army were put at the disposal of the Punitive Expedition into Mexico in 1916. The high altitudes and dry atmosphere caused propeller difficulties, which for a while nullified the flight operations. The few machines on hand were rapidly used up.
In 1911, the first Army Aviation School opened at College Park, Maryland, moving to Augusta, Georgia, during the winter.
The Signal Corps winter flight school was located in Augusta, Georgia from 1911 to 1913. Augusta was selected as the winter flight school due to the mild winter climate. Unfortunately the winter of 1911-1912 proved to be an exception. Heavy snows fell and in the spring excessive rainfall caused flooding. On 13 December 1913, the flight school moved to San Diego, California.
On 24 April 1918, the Signal Corps lost its aviation duties.