History of the 63d Signal Battalion
The rich and proud history of the 63rd Signal Battalion began when it was constituted in the Regular Army on July 1, 1940, and later activated on June 1, 1941 at Camp Claiborne, LA. The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated the 63rd Signal Operations Battalion March 1, 1945, while in Europe. The battalion was subsequently inactivated June 20, 1948 in Austria.
The 63rd reentered the active force April 1, 1950 while in Austria. On October 1, 1952, the battalion was reorganized and redesignated the 63rd Signal Battalion.
On September 10, 1955, the unit was again inactivated.
Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 63rd Signal Battalion, was reactivated July 24, 1967 at Fort Riley, Kansas; spent time in the Republic of Vietnam, and was inactivated February 15, 1972 at Fort Lewis, Washington.
On July 1 1975, the 63rd was redesignated the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 63rd Signal Battalion. The unit was activated while in Germany, where it remained until inactivation September 1 1977.
The Battalion next entered active service on October 1, 1984 when it was reorganized and redesignated the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 63rd Signal Battalion. The unit was activated in Massweiler, Germany. Companies A and B were concurrently activated.
On April 15, 1989, the battalion was reorganized and redesignated an Army Area Signal Battalion. On April 15, 1990, Company E, 67th Signal Battalion, and Company F, 16th Signal Battalion were redesignated Company C and Company D, 63rd Signal Battalion, respectively.
During Desert Storm/Desert Shield, 63rd Signal Battalion installed, operated and maintained a significant portion of what was, at that time, the largest, most technically complex Echelon Above Corps communication network ever developed.
After serving in Desert Shield and Desert Storm, the restationing of the 63rd Signal Battalion from the 7th Signal Brigade in Europe to a new home station at Fort Gordon, Georgia, was announced on 12 November 1991. The battalion was assigned to the 11th Signal Brigade, effective March 16, 1992. The 63rd deployed companies into Somalia in 1992 and 1993 in support of U.S. humanitarian and peace keeping operations.
Effective February 19, 1998, the 63rd Signal Battalion was reassigned from the 11th Signal Brigade, Fort Huachuca, Arizona to the 93rd Signal Brigade, Fort Gordon, Georgia.
The resolve of 63rd Signal Battalion was challenged once again when it was called into action for Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom in Southwest Asia on February 16, 2003. On G+1, the 63rd crossed into Iraq with the 3rd Infantry Division and the 1st MEF and emplaced signal support stretching from Kuwait to as far North as Baghdad and Fallujah, Iraq. Some of the many sites the 63rd supported were Camp Arifjan, Camp Virginia, Camp Victory, Cedar I and II, Tallil Air Base, LSA Bushmaster, LSA Resolute, Camp Bucca Theater Internment Facility, Basra International Airport, Baghdad International Airport, and two former Iraqi Presidential Palaces. In January 2004, the 63rd conducted a relief in place and transition of authority with the 67th Signal Battalion. After successfully deploying and accomplishing the mission, the 63rd brought every Soldier home to Fort Gordon, Georgia on February 19, 2004.
The 63rd Signal Battalion deployed again in January 2005 in support of the Combined Forces Land Component Commander (CFLCC) during Operation IRAQI FREEDOM III. The Battalion provided all communications support for Kuwait and provided CFLCC on call contingency communications capabilities. The Battalion served as Kuwait DOIM, the Area Support Group Kuwait (ASG Kuwait) S6, and the SYSCON for Kuwait and Southern Iraq. The Battalion provided communications to over 40,000 permanent subscribers in Kuwait and to 150,000 subscribers during the 2005 surge operations. The 63rd served as the force provider Headquarters for all signal infrastructure projects across Kuwait, Iraq, and Afghanistan providing the command and control of an additional seven signal companies to meet these requirements. After successfully completing the mission, the Soldiers of the 63rd once again safely redeployed home to Fort Gordon, Georgia on January 19, 2006.
The 63rd Signal Battalion and its Soldiers through their distinctive service in War World II, Vietnam, Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Somalia, Bosnia, and Operation IRAQI FREEDOM I/III truly live up to their motto: FROM THE BEGINNING...!!!
The unit crest was originally approved for the 63d Signal Operations Battalion on the 23rd of January 1952. The colors, orange and white, are the traditional colors of the Signal Corps. The four bandlets represent the four battle honors awarded to the organization during World War II. The silhouette of the mosque is taken from the shoulder sleeve insignia of the Fifth Army and represents the units service in North Africa. The green boot, represents its subsequent wartime service in Italy. The battalion motto “AB INITIO” translates to “FROM THE BEGINNING,” which is a reference to the 63d’s participation in the United States Army’s initial campaign in World War II.